This article is a continue on the previous article "HOW TO Populate a List with the SharePoint Users"
To download both articles, please click on the following link:
When publishing the previous form to SharePoint, and you promote the field Assign To, you will notice the newly created column is of type: Single line of Text.
Figure 3: View of columns.
When you want to filter this view, using [Me], you will receive an error
Figure 4: Edit View page, Set Filter.
The error you receive is: The value is not a valid text string
Figure 5: Error Message.
In general, we need to add a new column and create a SharePoint Workflow with the SharePoint Workflow Designer
- Add a new column to the View
- Open the Form Library Settings page
- Click on Create Column in the Columns Section
- Enter Assign To User as Column name
- Select Person or Group as the type of the column
- Click on the Ok button
- Create Workflow
- Open the SharePoint Designer
- Create a new workflow (Menu File ->New -> Workflow)
- Set the workflow name: SetAssignToUserField
- Select the SharePoint list where the workflow should be attached to
- Select Automatically start this workflow when a new item is created checkbox
- Select Automatically start this workflow when a new item is changed checkbox
Figure 5: Define Workflow, step 1.
- Enter the Step 1 name: SetAssignToUser
- Select Set Field in Current Item under the Actions
- Click on Field and select Assign To User (the newly created column in the SharePoint View)
- Click on Value, click on the Display Data Binding Fx button
- Select Current Item as Source
- Select Assign To in the Field dropdown box
Figure 6: Define Workflow Lookup Dialog Box
Note that we just link the Assign To field (Created by InfoPath and keeps the User ID) to the Assign User To column, which is of a Person Group type.
SharePoint will execute the lookup automatically and will shows the Display Name in the view
- Click the Finish button
- Add the filter
- Go back to the SharePoint List
- Modify the Current View
- Select Show Items only when the following is True radio button, under the filter Section
- Select Assign User To from the Show the items when column dropdown box
- Enter in the value textbox [Me]
Figure 7: Filter Settings of the View
- Click on the Ok Button